Ryan Maybee mixes herbal, pine-scented génépy with housemade chamomile-infused rye, vanilla syrup and Champagne in his In The Pines, which is at once bracing and refreshing and thoroughly cold-weather appropriate.
- 1 1/2 ounces chamomile-infused rye (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce génépy, preferably Dolin Génépy des Alpes
- 1/2 ounce vanilla syrup (1:1, sugar:water, with 2 Madagascar vanilla beans infused for every liter)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- sparkling wine, to top
Garnish: lemon zest
- Combine all ingredients except sparkling wine in a shaking tin and shake well with ice.
- Strain into a champagne flute with no ice.
- Top with sparkling wine. Garnish with lemon zest.
1/2 cup chamomile
750 ml rye whiskey
Steep chamomile in whiskey for three to four hours.