The East Coast has its own particular POV on the HBR, which involves adding another (gratuitous, but welcome) layer of richness to the butter batter by way of local vanilla ice cream. Jackson Cannon counters some of the sweetness with a touch of cayenne pepper.
- 1 1/2 ounces aged rum, preferably Old Monk, Appleton or Plantation 5-Year
- 2 tablespoons batter (see Editor’s Note)
- Hot water, to top
Garnish: cinnamon stick or grated nutmeg
- In a tempered 6- to 8-ounce mug, add 1 ounce of overproof rum.
- Add batter, then top with hot water and stir to incorporate.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg or a cinnamon stick.
1 pound butter, softened to room temperature
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons clove
2 tablespoons allspice
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
Add all ingredients to a stand mixer or mixing bowl, and combine until everything is evenly incorporated. Store covered in the refrigerator.