Taking third place in our blind tasting of 50/50 Martinis, James Bolt’s recipe was the only one to split both the gin and vermouth. (Due to a shortage of the Mancino, Dolin was substituted as a standalone vermouth; all the panelists agreed that the split vermouth would’ve only improved the drink.) “You get a progression of flavors,” said Simo, “which is what I want to see in a 50/50 Martini.”
James Bolt’s 50/50 Martini
James Bolt | Charleston
- 3/4 ounce Scottish gin, preferably The Botanist
- 3/4 ounce Japanese gin, preferably Roku
- 1 1/2 ounce dry vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 2 dashes Scrappy's Black Lemon Bitters
- 1 dash saline solution (4:1, water:salt)
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice and stir for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass.
- Express a lemon peel over the surface of the drink and discard.