For this drink, one of PUNCH contributing editor Robert Simonson’s 10 favorite cocktails of 2019, Toby Cecchini manages to splice together two seemingly disparate classics — Jerry Thomas’ Cognac-based Japanese Cocktail and the Mai Tai, which enjoys permanent residence upon the Mt. Rushmore of tiki drinks. The key to this partnership is orgeat, their one common ingredient, a tasty, tangible link Cecchini plays up with the inclusion of piquant Calpico.
Toby Cecchini, The Rockwell Place | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 ounce rum, preferably El Dorado 8-Year
- 1 ounce cognac, preferably Hine H Cognac VSOP
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Calpico concentrate
- 1/2 ounce Giffard Orgeat
Garnish: orange twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with an orange twist.