Luis Hernandez uses an Instant Pot to transform jasmine rice into a horchata-like base for this piña colada variation. “The rice adds just enough texture and richness so it doesn’t water down when blended with ice,” Hernandez says.
Luis Hernandez | New York
- 1 1/2 ounces jasmine coconut mix (see Editor's Note)
- 1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1 1/2 ounces rum
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 cup ice
Garnish: mint sprig, grated nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve in hurricane glass, pint glass or Mason jar.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and grated nutmeg.
Jasmine Coconut Mix:
2 1/2 cups coconut milk (or almond milk)
3/4 cup jasmine rice
1/2 cup shredded coconut
Place all ingredients in an Instant Pot. Cook for 20 minutes on high pressure. Let pressure release (about 10 minutes). Pour into blender and blend thoroughly, until smooth. Add cold water or more coconut milk if needed for desired thickness.