The original drink dates to circa 1978, created at the Aviary Bar of the Kuala Lumpur Hilton in Thailand. Jeff “Beachbum” Berry rediscovered the drink in a 1989 paperback by John J. Poister, The New American Bartender’s Guide, and republished it in his 2002 book, Intoxica! This version uses dark Jamaican rum and maintains a heavy pour of pineapple.
Jeff Berry’s Jungle Bird
Jeff Berry, Intoxica!
- 1 1/2 ounces dark Jamaican rum
- 4 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce Campari
Garnish: cherry, lemon and orange peels
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker, and shake well with plenty of ice cubes.
- Pour, unstrained, into a double Old-Fashioned glass.
- Garnish with an orchid, and a cocktail cherry speared to lemon and orange wheels.