Second place in our recent blind Hemingway Daiquiri tasting went to a very different, but almost equally enjoyed specimen from Jelani Johnson of Clover Club in Brooklyn. The selection of Owney’s Original Rum, a local Brooklyn product which Johnson helps distill, led to a drink that was noticeably creamy, with a big vanilla note. The rest of the blend asked for three quarters of an ounce of lime juice, a half ounce of grapefruit juice, half an ounce rich cane syrup (2:1), and a quarter ounce Luxardo maraschino liqueur. The panelists noted that it was not quite what you’d expect when ordering a Hemingway Daiquiri, but they couldn’t deny its appeal.
- 2 ounces white rum, preferably Owney's Original Rum
- 3/4 ounce lime juice, hand squeezed with a press, to get a bit of the oil from the skin into the juice
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce rich cane sugar syrup (2:1 sugar:water)
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
Garnish: lime wheel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice for 10 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled couple.
- Express a grapefruit twist and discard.
- Garnish with a thin lime wheel.