Taking third place in our recent blind tasting of Irish Coffee recipes, Jelani Johnson’s version of the drink calls on flavored whipped cream, which adds an extra dimension to this recipe.
- 2 ounces Irish whiskey, preferably Powers Gold Label
- 1/2 ounce demerara syrup (2:1, demerara sugar:water)
- 5 ounces hot coffee, preferably Stumptown
- 1 ounce whipped cream mix (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: freshly grated cinnamon
- Pour a small amount of boiling water into a glass coffee mug to heat it.
- In a mixing tin, combine the coffee, whiskey and sugar and nestle the tin in the mug to heat it while preparing the whipped cream mixture.
- Discard the hot water and pour the whiskey-coffee mixture into the mug.
- Float the cream mixture over the top.
- Garnish with freshly grated cinnamon.
Whipped Cream Mixture:
6 ounces heavy cream
1 ounce Drambuie
1 ounce Licor 43
In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients with the coil from a Hawthorne strainer and shake until the mixture has thickened, but is still pourable.