Placing third in our recent Mai Tai blind tasting, Jelani Johnson’s drink had a fruity abundance of mint, lime and orange in the glass and a long finish.
- 1 1/2 ounces Appleton Estate 12-Year Rum
- 1/2 ounce Rhum J.M Blanc 100 proof
- 1/4 ounce Worthy Park Single Estate Reserve Rum
- 1 ounce lime juice (hand squeezed, with one shell reserved to shake and one reserved for garnish)
- 1/2 ounce Clément Créole Shrubb
- 1/2 ounce Orgeat Works T’Orgeat
- 1/2 ounce Orgeat Works Latitude 29 Orgeat
- 1 teaspoon rich cane sugar syrup (2:1, cane sugar:water)
Garnish: mint, lime shell
- Combine all ingredients except garnish lime shell in a mixing tin and shake with a four-finger pinch of crushed ice until dissolved.
- Pour into a double rocks glass over crushed ice.
- Garnish with lavish mint plume with reserved lime shell tucked besides it. Serve with a straw.