In a bold spin on the G&T, Leanne Favre pairs the requisite gin with slightly saline manzanilla sherry and a small measure of banana liqueur, all topped with housemade lemongrass tonic. “By [creating] my own tonic water, I can manipulate the sugar [and] bitter elements of the soda,” she explains. The result is a low-ABV highball with hints of the tropics.
- 1 ounce gin, preferably The Botanist
- 1 ounce manzanilla sherry, preferably Lustau
- 1/2 ounce banana liqueur, preferably Giffard
- Top with lemongrass tonic (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine first three ingredients in a highball glass over ice.
- Top with lemongrass tonic.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.
50 grams crushed cinchona bark
10 grams lemongrass bark
2 1/2 grams gentian
1 quart water
1 quart sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons citric acid
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring. Turn down the heat and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain through a nut milk bag. Measure the weight of the mixture and combine with 5 1/2 times the volume in water. Carbonate using an iSi siphon or another carbonating apparatus.