Tied for second place in our recent Mojito tasting, John De Piper’s drink was shaken briefly with a few pieces of pebble ice and then strained into a glass filled with more pebble ice. The ingredients included two ounces of Real McCoy 3 Year Old rum, one ounce lime juice and—in its most singular feature—a sweetener blend of three-quarters of an ounce of cane syrup (De Piper prefers either Rhum JM or Petite Canne) and a brown sugar cube. This led to a slightly sweeter Mojito—and one that was deeply colored, owing to the brown sugar—but with great flavor and body.
- 2 ounces light rum, preferably Real McCoy 3 Year
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce cane syrup, preferably Rhum J.M Sirop or Petite Canne
- 1 brown sugar cube
- 1 big pinch mint
Garnish: mint bouquet
- In a shaker tin, add the mint and sugar and muddle.
- Add the remaining ingredients and shake lightly with a few pieces of pebble ice.
- Pour into a Collins glass and top with pebble ice.
- Garnish with a mint bouquet in the middle of the glass.