At her Chicago bar, Kumiko, Julia Momosé brings her detail-oriented approach to a dealer’s choice–style menu. Guests can expect thoughtful, ingredient-driven recipes, like this updated Japanese whisky highball.
- 1/4 teaspoon mango vinegar, preferably Huilerie Beaujolaise Mango Vinegar
- 1/4 ounce mango brandy, preferably Rhine Hall
- 1/4 ounce black cardamom Sauternes, see Editors note
- 1 1/2 ounces whiskey, preferably Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt Whisky
- soda water, preferably Fever-Tree (to top)
Garnish: manicured orange twist
- Combine all ingredients, except for soda water, in a Collins glass over cracked ice.
- Top with soda water.
- Garnish with a manicured orange twist.
Black Cardamom Sauternes:
375 ml bottle Sauternes
5 grams black cardamom pods
Crack the cardamom pods with a mortar and pestle and toast lightly until aromatic. While the cardamom is still warm, transfer to a glass jar. Pour the room-temperature Sauternes over the pods and allow to infused for 5 to 10 minutes. Fine strain the solids out and bottle the Sauternes. Will keep for one week in the refrigerator.