In his Sazerac, Houston’s Matthew Tanner focuses on elevating the Knob Creek Rye and Peychaud’s notes. This riff on the Sazerac has no bells and whistles, but rather a new sweetener. The combination of turbinado and light brown sugar amps up Knob Creek® Rye’s burnt caramel and maple syrup notes, making this a very barrel-forward cocktail.
- 2 parts Knob Creek® Rye
- ¼ part dark sugar syrup(see Editor’s Note)
- 6 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- Absinthe, in atomizer
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir.
- Using an atomizer filled with absinthe, spritz a rocks glass.
- Strain into glass.
- Express a lemon twist and garnish.
Dark Sugar Syrup
(Makes 2 cups)
1 cup water
1 ½ cup turbinado sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
Combine ingredients in a sauce pot, bring to a simmer, and whisk until sugars are dissolved. Place in a container and let cool.