A dash of curry bitters adds nuanced spice to the comforting familiarity of watermelon. The drink pays homage to watermelon curry, a traditional dish from northwestern India, and in particular a version once served by the late chef Floyd Cardoz at New York’s Tabla.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Fords
- 1/2 ounce Ramazzotti Aperitivo Rosato
- 1/4 ounce overproof Jamaican rum, preferably Wray & Nephew
- 1 1/4 ounces watermelon syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1 dash The Bitter End Curry Bitters
Garnish: lime wedge
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a double Old-Fashioned glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
To make watermelon syrup, stir together three parts watermelon juice to one part sugar until the sugar dissolves. Bottle and refrigerate for up to one week.