Created by illustrator John Perry Yates for the 2014 World Cup match between the U.S. and Belgium, this distant relative of the John Collins pairs sweet, oaky American bourbon with the tart funky cherries of a traditional Belgian brew. Use an unsweetened lambic if possible. If you can’t find unsweetened, dial down the maraschino liqueur to taste.
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 6 ounces lambic, Belgian Kriek
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur
Garnish: brandied cherry
- Add bourbon, lemon juice and maraschino to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain over ice into a Collins glass.
- Top with lambic and stir gently.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry.