Second place in our frozen Margarita blind tasting went to Kristina Magro, whose recipe stood out chiefly for its inclusion of lime zest grated directly into the blender, integrating oils from the peel into the drink for an exceptionally bright and floral take. “It’s almost like a cartoon version of a frozen Margarita,” said Brian Evans, who found that it also channeled the cordial quality of Rose’s Lime Juice, “in a good way.”
- 1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila, preferably Ocho Plata
- 1 ounce amber agave syrup
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau or Marie Brizard triple sec
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- zest of half a lime
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
Garnish: lime wedge
- Add ice to a blender: 2 cups of ice if using large ice cubes, 1 cup if using crushed ice.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture reaches a smooth consistency.
- Pour into a glass of your choice.
- Garnish with a lime wedge for acid-adjusting per guest.