Llama Inn beverage directors Lynnette Marrero and Jessica Gonzalez have created a Peruvian version of the classic Rum Buck, minus the bubbles. Ginger syrup pairs with the rich and complex chicha morada—a blend of boiled maize infused with pineapple rinds, cinnamon, cloves and apples—with a rum base and the requisite dose of lime for an update on the classic.
Lynnette Marrero and Jessica Gonzalez, Llama Inn | Brooklyn, NY
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 ounce lime
- 1/2 ounce ginger syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce chicha morada syrup
- 1 ounce white rum, preferably Plantation 3 Star
- 1 ounce rum, preferably Zacapa
Garnish: lime wheel
- Combine all ingredients and shake.
- Strain into a rocks glass with ice.
6 ounces rich simple syrup (2:1, sugar:water)
1 ounce pure ginger juice
Blend together. (Note: If you can't source ginger juice, muddle several chunks of ginger with a 1/2 ounce of simple syrup in a cocktail shaker before adding remaining ingredients.)