This buck-like cooler was created by Duggan McDonnell for San Francisco’s Cantina. Made with San Francisco–born citron vodka, five spice–infused agave nectar, ginger, serrano chile peppers and lime, the preparation of the Laughing Buddha emphasized the freshness of the ingredients by juicing the citrus to order. McDonnell even made an effort to rely on citrus foraged from friends and neighbors to keep the radius of ingredients’ origins as small as possible.
Duggan McDonnell, Cantina | San Francisco, CA
- 2 ounces citron vodka (Hangar One or Charbay)
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Five Spice Agave Nectar
- 2 ounces ginger beer
- 3 pieces ginger
- 3 slices serrano chile pepper (to taste)
Garnish: fresh slice of ginger
- In a mixing pint, muddle a few pieces of freshly diced ginger and a few slices of a serrano chile (to taste).
- Add vodka, lime juice and agave nectar.
- Add ice and shake.
- Strain the contents into an ice-filled highball glass, while simultaneously pouring ginger beer.
- Garnish with a fresh slice of ginger, and smile.