For this variation on the Sonic, Eric Simmons makes a bespoke tonic syrup with lavender, citrus peels and spices for a fresh, floral essence and bittersweet bite. At his bar, he’ll often freeze lavender sprigs inside a rectangular ice cube for visual appeal, but that’s an optional touch.
Lavender Super Sonic
Eric Simmons | Chicago
- 2 ounces Roku gin
- 1/2 ounce lavender tonic syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/4 ounce yuzu liqueur
- 1/4 ounce lime juice
- carbonated water, to top (preferably Topo Chico)
Garnish: grapefruit peel
- Shake first four ingredients with ice.
- Strain into a Collins glass over a long rectangular ice cube. Top with carbonated water.
- Twist grapefruit peel over top of the drink to express the essential oils, then discard the peel.
Lavender Tonic Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 lemongrass stalk, diced
1/2 teaspoon edible lavender buds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 or 2 allspice berries
4 to 5 thyme sprigs, diced
peel of 1 grapefruit
peel of 1 lime
1. In a saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
2. Add remaining ingredients, then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain out herbs and spices. Keeps, refrigerated, for about two weeks.