Estelle Bossy toyed with the idea of putting an absinthe or crème de menthe frappé on the after-dinner list at French restaurant Le Rock, but ultimately settled on a Stinger. Having just developed her menu of freezer Martinis, she decided to try that with a Stinger, serving it over pebble ice for a frappé effect. Notably, she chose to use Armagnac over Cognac, citing the freezer method’s tendency to flatten more “delicate aromatic structures.” Armagnac, Bossy says, “brings an oily, beefy meatiness that flavors cling to.”
- 3 1/2 ounces Armagnac, preferably Domaine d’Espérance Bas-Armagnac 5 Year
- 1 1/4 ounces crème de menthe, preferably Tempus Fugit
- 1/4 ounce vanilla liqueur, preferably Giffard Madagascar Vanilla
- 2/3 ounce filtered water
Garnish: pineapple frond, short straw
- Combine all ingredients in a bottle.
- Store the bottle in the freezer for several hours, ideally overnight.
- To serve, pour into two juice glasses and top with pebble ice.
- Garnish with a pineapple frond and serve with a short straw.