In her take on the modern classic, Leanne Favre hews closely to Phil Ward’s original recipe, simply splitting the tequila quotient between two brands and adding a dash each of mole bitters and saline solution. At a blind tasting of Oaxaca Old-Fashioneds, Ward complemented the drink as “the best representation of the original.”
- 1 1/2 ounces reposado tequila, preferably equal parts Siete Leguas and Calle 23
- 3/4 ounce mezcal, preferably Del Maguey Chichicapa
- scant teaspoon amber blue agave nectar
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 dash mole bitters
- 1 dash 10% saline solution
Garnish: flamed, expressed orange twist
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Express oil from an orange twist over the drink, then flame the twist and use to garnish.