A nearly nonalcoholic drink with a tradition rooted at the 19th hole of golf in Australia, the LLB is a simple mixture of lemon-lime soda and Angostura bitters. Eventually, the recipe was canned by Angostura into an RTD. This version eschews flavored soda for fresh juice, its zip and zing producing an ethereally breezy drink that showcases the stellar simplicity of a few everyday ingredients.
- Juice and zest of 3 limes, separated
- Juice and zest of 3 lemons, separated
- 3/4 cup simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Angostura bitters
- 1 750 ml bottle of San Pellegrino or other sparkling water
Garnish: citrus wheel
- In a small bowl, steep the lime zest in the lime juice for 10 minutes. Repeat this process for the lemon zest and juice.
- In a pitcher fitted with a small fine-mesh sieve, strain the lime juice and zest mixture, squeezing the pulp to ensure that all the liquid is removed from the zest. Repeat the process for the lemon zest and juice.
- Add the simple syrup, bitters and sparkling water. Stir to combine. Pour into an ice-filled highball glass and garnish with a slice of citrus.