In her take on the Sgroppino, a traditional Italian palate-cleanser, Karen Fu harnesses the refreshing qualities of citrus in multiple forms: yuzu-inflected Japanese gin, frosty lemon sorbet, bright meyer lemon juice and fizzy lemon-lime soda. Bianco vermouth rounds out the recipe, but Fu notes that fino sherry can easily stand in (she recommends Barbadillo).
Karen Fu, République | Los Angeles
- 1 ounce Japanese gin, preferably Roku
- 1 scoop lemon sorbet
- 1/2 ounce meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce bianco vermouth, preferably Bordiga
- splash Jarritos Mineragua or Maine Root Lemon Lime soda
Garnish: a fresh sprig of thyme
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently whisk or mix with a spoon to integrate.
- Pour into a chilled sundae glass.
- Garnish with thyme and serve with a metal straw or spoon.