“Grasshoppers and ice cream drinks of any kind are quite popular in Wisconsin,” says Sam Brown, owner of Leopold’s in Madison, Wisconsin. The bar’s take on the iconic cocktail adds Meletti Fernet—which Brown calls “the most wonderful, herbaceous and minty fernet on the market”—for a digestivo-like intrigue, while a duo of mint liqueurs brings layers of flavor into the dessert drink.
Sam Brown | Madison, Wisconsin
- 1/2 ounce crème de menthe, preferably Bols Green Crème de Menthe
- 1/2 ounce mint liqueur, preferably Giffard Menthe-Pastille liqueur
- 3/4 ounce crème de cacao, preferably Giffard white crème de cacao
- 1/4 ounce fernet, preferably Meletti Fernet
- 5 scoops (about 1 1/2 cups) vanilla ice cream (Leopold’s uses a locally made gelato)
Garnish: fresh mint
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a milkshake glass and garnish with fresh mint.