At Leyenda in Brooklyn, the house Ranch Water gets an herbal upgrade, thanks to a housemade sage and lime oleo saccharum. The addition of fino sherry complements the salinity of the drink’s Topo Chico topper.
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila, preferably El Velo
- 3/4 ounce fino sherry, preferably Lustau Fino Jarana
- 1/4 ounce sage and lime oleo saccharum (see Editor’s Note)
- Topo Chico, to top
Garnish: long lime twist, sage bouquet, metal straw
- Add the first three ingredients to a highball glass.
- Stir to combine, and add ice.
- Top with Topo Chico.
- Garnish with a long lime twist, sage bouquet and metal straw.
Sage and Lime Oleo Saccharum
Muddle 1 cup lime peels, stripped with a peeler, and 8 sage leaves with 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Let sit for 5 to 24 hours, pressing on occasion. When sugar is completely dissolved, strain and bottle.