A Manhattan variation with an extra Italian kick courtesy of the artichoke-based amaro, Cynar. Audrey Saunders’ 2005 modern classic is a nod to the Little Italy neighborhood bordering the home of her influential bar Pegu Club, as well as a tribute to the combination of Italian and American ingredients in the glass.
- 2 ounces rye whiskey, preferably Rittenhouse 100 proof
- 1/2 ounce Cynar
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Martini & Rossi Rosso
Garnish: Luxardo maraschino cherries, skewered
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with Luxardo cherries on a skewer.