Samuel Garcia created this cocktail as a way to make fernet more accessible to the uninitiated calling on a locally made liqueur from Rhine Hall, a small distillery located in Chicago’s Kinzie Industrial Corridor. The additions of lemon and simple syrup turn the drink into a sort of fernet Daiquiri, as he puts it, a profile many people are already comfortable with. By topping it off with Fever-Tree Distillers Cola, it’s given a final, Argentine twist, a nod to the country where the Fernet & Cola is ubiquitous.
- 2 ounces Rhine Hall Fernet Lola
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- Fever-Tree Distillers Cola, to top
Garnish: lemon swath and cherry
- Add the fernet, lemon juice and simple syrup to a shaker tin with ice, and shake.
- Strain into a highball glass with ice.
- Top with Fever-Tree Distillers Cola, and garnish with lemon swath and cherry.