Kacie Lambert’s take on the Manhattan leaves vermouth out of the equation. Instead, she builds on a split-base of Japanese and rye whiskeys, then adds herbaceous Braulio amaro, demerara syrup and Angostura bitters.
- 1 ounce rye whiskey, preferably Woody Creek
- 3/4 ounce Braulio
- 3/4 ounce Japanese whisky, preferably Toki
- 1/2 ounce demerara syrup 1:1
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: expressed orange peel
- Combine all ingredients in a double rocks glass over a big ice cube and stir to integrate.
- Express an orange peel over top of the drink, and garnish with the orange peel.