Created for the opening of Lost Lake in 2015, this version of the classic Mai Tai is loosely structured on the Trader Vic version of the classic—meaning equal parts Martinique and Jamaican rums. However, it’s buzzed in a drinks mixer instead of shaken, a move intended to create a faster serve. In 2018, Paul McGee, co-owner of Lost Lake, revisited the recipe, altering the rum selection and the technique.
- 1 ounce rhum agricole, preferably Duquesne Eleve Sous Bois
- 1 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Appleton Signature Blend
- 1/2 ounce Curaçao, preferably Pierre Ferrand
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounces orgeat, preferably Small Hand Foods
- 1/4 ounce demerara syrup (2:1)
Garnish: mint bouquet, orange floret, orchid
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin, along with 1 cup crushed ice.
- Buzz (with Hamilton Beach Drinks Mixer) for 4 seconds.
- Pour into a Mai Tai glass.
- Top with an additional 1 cup of crushed ice.
- Garnish with big mint bouquet, orange floret, orchid, swizzle stick and straw.