In a blind-tasting of 10 Ramos Gin Fizzes from some of America’s best bartenders, the top honors went to this version from Maison Premiere in Brooklyn. Like most Ramos recipes, its showstopping meringue is a matter of method and the precise ratio of ingredients.
- 2 ounces Plymouth gin
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup, (1:1, sugar to water)
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1 egg white
- 6 drops orange flower water
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- 3 dashes orange bitters
- 3/4 ounce heavy cream, preferably Ronnybrook Farm
- soda water, to top
Garnish: lemon twist (discarded)
- Combine all ingredients except the cream in a Boston tin and dry shake.
- Add heavy cream with one large and one small ice cube, and shake until ice is dissolved.
- Pour into a Collins glass, and place the glass in the freezer to settle.
- Poke the surface with a straw, then pour soda through the hole until the drink rises above the rim of the glass.
- Express a lemon twist over the drink, and discard.