In this Negroni variation, the combination of a bay leaf and Douglas fir essential oil spray and a cinnamon tincture adds a warm, seasonal spin. “It’s like a Christmas-time-any-time-of-year kind of deal,” says bartender Ricky Agustin.
Man About Town
Ricky Agustin, White Horse Tavern | New York
- 1 ounce aged rum
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- 1 ounce Campari
- 2 dashes cinnamon tincture (see Editor’s Note)
- Bay leaf essential oil spray (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: flamed orange twist
- Combine all ingredients except the essential oil spray in a rocks glass over ice.
- Stir to integrate.
- Garnish with flamed orange twist.
- Spritz cocktail napkin with bay leaf essential oil spray, then serve immediately.
10 ounces (1 3/4 cup) aged rum
1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon clove
Add cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and clove to the rum. Let sit for two weeks, agitating occasionally. Strain through a coffee filter and bottle.
Bay Leaf and Douglas Fir Essential Oil Spray:
10 ounces (1 1/4 cups) vodka
15 bay leaves
10 drops Douglas fir essential oils, preferably Aftelier Perfumes
Steep the bay leaves in vodka. Let sit two weeks, agitating occasionally. Strain and discard the bay leaves. Pour one ounce of the infused vodka into a small spray bottle. To that, add 10 drops Douglas fir essential oils. To use, spritz on a napkin for extra aromatics, then set the drink on the napkin.