Spyros Patsialos, former manager of Greece’s Faltso Bar, competed in the first Skinos Mediterranean Cocktail Challenge and has served as a judge for the past four contests. This highly complex tiki drink incorporates a global assortment of spirits with bright tropical fruits. The Underberg bitters bring “extraordinary herbal and spicy notes,” with the subtle vanilla in the mastiha spirit joined by the vanilla-spice flavors in the bourbon. Best served in a tiki mug, as most things are.
- 1 1/3 ounces Angostura Rum 1919
- 1/3 ounce Four Roses bourbon
- 1 ounce Skinos mastiha spirit
- 1 1/3 ounces organic pineapple juice
- 1/3 ounce passion fruit syrup, see editor's note.
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 barspoon Underberg bitters
Garnish: pineapple ring
- Pour all the ingredients into a mixing glass.
- Shake with plenty of ice and strain into a mug filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a pineapple ring and a few dashes Underberg on the surface. Drink through a straw inserted through the pineapple ring.
For Patsialos homemade passion fruit syrup: combine the pulp from 8-10 passion fruits, 10 ounces water, 10 -14 ounces sugar (depending on the sweetness of the fruit). Bring water to a boil, remove from heat and dissolve sugar into the water. Add the passionfruit juice, stir and let cool. Strain into a bottle after cooling.