In her aptly-named Margarita Verde, Stacey Swenson turbo-charges the grassy notes of blanco tequila with a house-made “garden cordial.” Consisting of fresh green bell pepper, snap peas, parsley, celery and agave nectar, it brightens the classic sour formula while a touch of salt draws out extra nuance. “It still feels like a cocktail not a smoothie,” assures Swenson.
- 1 3/4 ounces tequila, preferably El Tesoro Blanco
- 1/2 ounce Salers
- 3/4 ounce garden cordial (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes 20 percent saline solution
- 2 dashes Tabasco green jalapeño sauce
Garnish: lime wheel, parsley sprig
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and parsley sprig.
1 cup fresh green bell pepper juice
1 cup whole snap peas
1 handful parsley
1 cup fresh celery juice
2 cups agave nectar
1 cup water
Combine all ingredients in a Vitamix, blend well and fine strain.