At Savannah Café in Brooklyn, Mojitos are mixed with a splash of mauby, a classic Caribbean brew, made from mauby tree bark, warm spices and sugar.
- 6 mint leaves
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce mauby(freshly brewed, or made from store-bought concentrate)
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1 piece cinnamon bark
- club soda, to top
Garnish: lime wheel and 2 mint sprigs
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle mint leaves, lime juice and sugar.
- Add rum, mauby, triple sec, cinnamon bark and ice, and shake until well-chilled.
- Strain into a tall glass, one-third full of ice.
- Top with club soda and garnish with lime wheel and mint sprigs.