This Mojito riff is named for a bartender that Seth Raymond worked with in Seattle, Melanie Ohlenkant, also a motorcycle enthusiast. “She did cool things with [cocktail] presentation behind the bar,” he recalls. “I think I learned the most from her about presentation.” The over-the-top garnish is an homage to her.
Seth Raymond, Ani Ramen House | Jersey City, NJ
- 2 ounces rum, preferably Bacardi Superior
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce yellow Chartreuse
- 1/4 ounce rich simple syrup(2:1, sugar:water)
- 6 Thai basil leaves
- soda water, to top
Garnish: lime, Thai basil, bitters
- Combine all ingredients, except the soda water, in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Double strain into a highball glass over ice.
- Top with soda water.
- To garnish, squeeze a lime half over the top of the drink so that pulpy beads fall out.
- Slap the Thai basil sprigs to activate aroma, then insert into the drink.
- Place a straw in the drink, then dash bitters over the top.