Lynnette Marrero, bar director for Llama Inn and Llama San, and bartender John Ware build on a base of pisco, watermelon and rosé with the balancing heat of habanero in the Meloncholia. It’s equal parts “crushable” and surprising.
- 1 ounce pisco, preferably Pisco 100 Acholado
- 1 ounce rosé
- 1 ounce watermelon juice
- 1/2 ounce ginger syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes habanero tincture (see Editor's Note)
- 2 dashes saline solution (see Editor's Note)
- Club soda, to top
Garnish: lime peel
- Combine all ingredients except the club soda in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice and top with club soda.
- Garnish with a manicured lime peel.
3 parts white sugar
2 parts fresh-pressed ginger juice
Combine ingredients in a container and stir until sugar dissolves. Place in a sealed container and keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.
16 ounces Everclear or high proof neutral spirit
4 habanero peppers, de-seeded and sliced
Combine and let steep for 2 hours, then strain the peppers from the liquid, bottle and store.
100 grams boiling water
50 grams salt
Combine the boiling water and salt in a heat proof container. Stir until salt has dissolved. Allow to cool, then transfer to dasher bottle.