Residing somewhere between a Martini and a Margarita, Phil Ward’s Mexi-Gin Martini combines the sweeter, lower proof crema de mezcal with the expected gin and dry vermouth. Ward recommends either leaving the drink ungarnished or adding a not-too-spicy pickled pepper.
- 2 ounces gin, preferably Plymouth
- 3/4 ounce dry vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/4 ounce "Mexi" Batch (see Editor's Note)
- 2 dashes celery bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice.
- Stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
Combine equal parts crema de mezcal (preferably Del Maguey), yellow Chartreuse and jalapeño-infused tequila.
To make the infused tequila, roughly chop 4 jalapeño peppers and add them to a 750-ml bottle of tequila and let sit for 15-20 minutes before straining out the solids.