In their postmodern take on this Margarita-adjacent classic, the crew behind Dandelyan and Cub call on fake lime juice and clarified tomato grenadine for a savory riff on the original.
- 2 ounces blanco tequila
- 3/4 ounces fake lime juice, see Editor's note
- 3/4 ounces clear tomato grenadine, see Editor's note
- 1/4 ounce Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur
- 4 dashes Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
Fake Lime Juice:
9 grams citric acid powder
6 grams malic acid powder
0.2 grams tartaric acid powder
50 grams phosphoric acid 1.25% solution*
260 grams water
1 gram salt
Whisk powders with water to dissolve, bottle and store in the refrigerator.
Clear Tomato Grenadine:
18 ounces tomato passata
9 ounces boiling water
1/4 ounce agar powder
Bring water to boil, add agar and let the mixture boil for 5 minutes. Add tomato passata, stir and let the mixture cool to room temperature to set. Once set, gently break down the gel using a whisk and set the gel over a muslin cloth to clarify the seeping liquid, which can take about an hour or two depending on the quantity. Filter the remaining liquid using a coffee filter until clear, add 2 cups of white sugar and stir until dissolved.