A splash of whisky is the key to this boozy ice cream soda inspired by Kayoko Seo’s childhood—without it, Seo insists, the drink is too sweet. “The whisky stabilizes it,” she says. “I don’t taste it that much, but it’s a good combination. It gives it a nice balance.” The scoop of ice cream can be stirred into the drink or eaten right away.
- 1 1/2 ounces Midori
- 1/4 ounce Japanese whisky, preferably Suntory Toki
- soda water, to top
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
Garnish: maraschino cherry
- In a large footed glass, combine all ingredients, except for soda water and ice cream, over ice.
- Top with soda water.
- Add the ice cream and garnish with a maraschino cherry.
- Serve with a long-handled spoon and a straw.