During a Champagne Cocktail competition, wherein contestants drew a spirit out of hat with which to work, McCray picked the Scotch-based liqueur, Drambuie. “I got Drambuie and didn’t know what to do,” remembers McCray, “so I tried something I’d never done before and milk-washed it.” He then froze the milk-washed Drambuie in a flute, and topped the whole thing with bubbly for a modern twist on the original Champagne Cocktail. As McCray notes, however, the milk-washed Drambuie “tastes great on its own with a little dilution.”
- 125 milliliters orange juice
- 125 milliliters lemon juice
- 250 milliliters Drambuie
- 125 milliliters heavy cream
- Combine all ingredients and allow to sit for several hours.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator or freezer until the cream solidifies.
- Skim the cream off of the mixture, then serve over ice.