At Death & Co., the Moneyball is a play on the mezcal Negroni made zero-proof. To replicate the original drink’s signature smokiness, Javelle Taft calls on Lapsang souchong tea in place of the base spirit, and St. Agrestis’ Phony Negroni in place of Campari.
Javelle Taft | New York City
- 1 1/2 ounces Lapsang tea infusion (see Editor’s Note)
- 1 ounce Pathfinder Hemp Amaro
- 1 ounce St. Agrestis Phony Negroni
- 1/4 ounce vanilla syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/4 ounce passion fruit syrup (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: orange slice
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass and stir with ice.
- Strain into a double Old-Fashioned glass over a large cube.
- Garnish with an orange slice.
Lapsang Tea Infusion
Steep 10 grams of loose Lapsang souchong tea leaves in 1 liter of filtered hot water for 20 minutes.
Strain out tea and let the brew cool.
Add 2 liters of filtered water to the tea.
Passion Fruit Syrup
Combine 1000 grams white sugar and 1000 grams passion fruit purée (preferably Perfect Purée) in a blender, processing until all sugars and purée are dissolved. Transfer the blended syrup into a saucepan and heat on low, simmering for 10 minutes.
1000 grams simple syrup (1:1, sugar to water)
4 grams vanilla extract
2.5 grams lactic acid powder
0.5 gram kosher salt
1. Combine all ingredients together in a pot and heat until reaching a slow simmer. Turn off the heat and let cool.
2. Pass the syrup through a fine-mesh sieve.
3. Transfer to a storage container and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 4 weeks.