Using the blueprint of a basic Collins recipe, North Carolina bartender Brad Farran infused the usual gin base with fragrant Mount Olympus flower tea, added a dash of apricot liqueur and replaced simple syrup with sweet almond orgeat syrup to sweeten. Angostura bitters and lemon juice add the balance of spice and acid to complete the long, tall summer cocktail.
- 2 ounces gin, infused with Mount Olympus flower tea (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce orgeat
- 1/4 ounce apricot liqueur (preferably Rothman and Winter)
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 ounce soda water
Garnish: lemon wheel
- Add gin, lemon juice, orgeat, apricot liqueur and Angostura to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain over ice into a Collins glass.
- Top with soda water and garnish with a lemon wheel.
Add 2 tablespoons Mount Olympus flower tea to a 750 ml bottle gin. Let steep for 24 hours. Strain and re-bottle.