The traditional toddy template kicked up with Suze and peated Scotch. Stephen Bielawski’s former coworker, Al Culliton, calls this toddy a, “smoky, floral, bitter delight.” Bielawski, for his part, describes it as “equal parts fragrant, calming and inebriating.”
Mrs. Rabbit’s Bedtime Toddy
Stephen Bielawski, Fort Defiance | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 ounce blended Scotch or Irish whisky
- 1/2 ounce single malt Scotch, preferably Laphroaig
- 1/2 ounce Suze
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce honey syrup (1:1 honey to water)
- 1 knob ginger, peeled
- 1 slice orange
Garnish: chamomile tea bag, lemon wheel studded with cloves, orange peel, freshly grated nutmeg
- Muddle ginger and orange slice in a steaming pitcher.
- Combine remaining ingredients and steam until hot.
- Strain into a pint glass and top with hot water.
- Add a chamomile tea bag and garnish with lemon wheel, orange peel and freshly grated nutmeg.