Translating as “An Italian Woman Goes to Jalisco,” Gina Chersevani created this mash-up of two classics to honor her Italian heritage. It melds the Tequila Sunrise with the traditional Italian Garibaldi cocktail—Campari and orange juice. Dry-shaking the mix (without ice) helps encourage the juice to froth up; showcasing the drink in a tall, thin glass helps keep that froth as long as possible.
- 1 1/2 ounces sassafras bark-infused tequila (see Editor's Note)
- 3 ounces orange juice
- 1 ounce Campari
Garnish: orange wheel
- Combine the tequila and orange juice in a mixing tin and shake without ice.
- Add ice and shake again until chilled.
- Double strain into a Collins glass over crushed ice.
- Gently pour the Campari on top of the drink and allow it to drop to the bottom of the glass.
- Garnish with an orange wheel.
Sassafras Bark-Infused Tequila:
1/4 cup sassafras
1 750mL bottle silver tequila
In a dry pan, toast the sassafras over medium heat for a few minutes, until the bark begins to leach out the oils. Then, place into a glass jar and immediately pour an entire bottle of tequila over it. Wait one hour, then taste it; it should taste like a good cream soda or root beer. For a stronger infusion, continue to steep, for a maximum of eight hours. Strain into a clean glass jar and store at room temperature away from sunlight. The infused tequila will keep for up to a couple of years.