“I wanted to find a method that would recreate some of the yeasty, mushroom-y flavors you get with vintage Champagne,” explains Ezra Star of the inspiration for using mushroom dashi syrup as the sweetener in her recipe. A dehydrated, candied mushroom tops off this modern spin on the Champagne cocktail.
Ezra Star, Drink | Boston
- 1 1/2 ounces Cognac, preferably Otard XO
- 3/4 ounce huckleberry verjus reduction (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce mushroom dashi sugar (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce filtered water
- 2 ounces Champagne, to top
Garnish: candied mushroom
- Combine the first four ingredients and chill before serving.
- When ready to serve, pour the mixture into a flute and top with Champagne.
- Garnish with a candied mushroom.
Huckleberry Verjus Reduction:
1 pound huckleberries
750ml blanc verjus
Blend ingredients together. Strain through a chinois and bottle before use.
Mushroom Dashi Sugar:
5 maitake mushrooms
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and let sit for one hour. Strain the solids out before bottling.