This low-ABV Zombie riff presents what Lost Lake’s Shelby Allison and Paul McGee call a “sessionable take on a notoriously non-sessionable tiki cocktail.”
- 3/4 ounce Suze
- 3/4 ounce Campari
- 3/4 ounce Jägermeister
- 3/4 ounce cinnamon falernum (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce grapefruit juice
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1 dash absinthe, preferably Letherbee Barrel Aged Absinthe
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
Garnish: mint bouquet, cinnamon stick, grapefruit peel, orchid
- Add all ingredients in a shaker tin with one cup of crushed ice
- Using a spindle blender, buzz for three seconds.
- Pour into a ceramic mug and top with crushed ice.
- Garnish with mint bouquet, cinnamon stick, grapefruit peel, orchid and other tropical accoutrements.
To make the cinnamon falernum, combine equal parts cinnamon syrup (recipe below) and John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum.
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
20 cinnamon sticks (crushed)
Add crushed cinnamon sticks to a saucepan and toast over medium heat for three minutes. Add the sugar and water and stir until sugar is dissolved, approximately 10 minutes. Empty contents into a container and allow to cool at room temperature overnight. Strain into a sealable bottle or container. Will keep, refrigerated, for up to a month.