Somewhere between a Collins and a spritz, Dan Sabo’s Nakatomi Plaza looks to bartender Sam Ross’ modern classic, the Paper Plane, for its flavor combination. “Low-proof enough to be sessionable, it packs more of a punch [than either],” Sabo says. The chamomile and peppercorn provide a touch of tannic dryness and spice, which play nicely with the Japanese whisky and highlight L’Aperitivo Nonino’s orange, herbal flavors. Named for the location where the action-Christmas film Die Hard took place, Sabo nods to its seasonal quality, and his wish that everyone drink this around the holidays.
Dan Sabo | Los Angeles
- 1 ounce Nonino L’Aperitivo Botanical Drink
- 1 ounce Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky
- 3/4 ounce chamomile–pink peppercorn syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 2 ounces soda water (preferably Topo Chico)
Garnish: pink peppercorns
- Add all ingredients except soda water to a shaker tin with ice.
- Shake well and strain into a highball glass over ice.
- Garnish with pink peppercorns.
Chamomile–Pink Peppercorn Syrup
8 ounces hot water
1 tablespoon cracked pink peppercorn
2 bags chamomile tea
8 ounces white cane sugar
Add peppercorns and chamomile tea to hot water and allow to steep for 8 minutes. Remove tea bags and allow peppercorns to continue steeping for another 7 minutes. Strain out peppercorns, and mix in sugar.