To add bitters or to not add bitters? Neal Bodenheimer’s addition of a “spray” of Angostura bitters alongside the classic combination of whiskey, lemon, simple syrup and egg white earned him a spot in the top three during our recent blind tasting of nearly 20 Whiskey Sours.
- 2 ounces Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 1 small egg white
- 1 spray Angostura bitters
Garnish: lemon peel and a brandied cherry
- Add the egg and lemon juice to a mixing tin, and dry shake.
- Add bourbon and simple syrup to the other side of the shaking tin.
- Add 5 Kold Draft cubes and shake 20 times.
- Double strain over ice into a rocks glass.
- Allow the egg white to separate and spray Angostura on top of the foam.
- Express a lemon peel over the glass and garnish with the peel and a brandied cherry.