In this spin on Trader Vic’s Martinique Swizzle, Ezra Star calls on grenadine in place of the traditional cane syrup. “I am obsessed with the combination of absinthe and grenadine—any combination of dark fruits and anise or mint,” explains Star, who likens this pairing to the classic flavor combination of pomegranate and fennel in Mediterranean cuisine. “I wanted to play around with this combination for a straight-forward adaptation of a classic.”
- 2 ounces white rum, preferably Banks 5
- 3/4 ounce grenadine
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1 barspoon Herbsaint
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: flamed lime shell
- Rinse the glass with Herbsaint.
- Fill the glass with ice and add remaining ingredients.
- Swizzle until chilled.
- Garnish with a flaming lime shell on the side.