“I’m obsessed with cacao and mezcal together,” says Sarah Morrissey of this nuanced riff on the mezcal Negroni, which calls for a quarter-ounce splash of crème de cacao. In addition to the smoky mezcal, Atamán vermouth, a sherry-based vermouth from Spain, is a featured player in the drink. “It’s a really special vermouth, a little sweet, with bitter herb notes and dark chocolate on the back end.”
- 1 1/2 ounces mezcal, preferably Agave de Cortés
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Atamán vermouth rosso
- 3/4 ounce Aperitivo Cappelletti
- 1/4 ounce crème de cacao blanc, preferably Giffard
Garnish: brandied cherry
- Coat the interior of a cocktail glass with 3 spritzes of absinthe.
- In a mixing glass, add the remaining ingredients and ice, then stir until chilled.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry.